Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Because the Sacred was Torn...

In the last year, I have been stretched and changed in so many ways. It's been good, but hard. I'm not the type of person that does well with change. Some of these changes have been good, and those are the kind that make me happy. Changes like this are such an amazing blessing! Cherish them with all of your heart.

But, some have been hard, even hurtful. I am reminded of the song "Held" by Natalie Grant. (I mentioned this in an earlier post) "This is what it means to be held. How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive. This is what it is to be loved and to know that the promise was when everything fell we'd be held." I've had a few of my own "sacreds" torn from my life, and I have had to learn how to survive again. You see, change constantly forces you to grow and gain new perspectives. The frustrating thing about this past year is that just when I get comfortable, another curve ball is thrown my way. And I have to figure out how to survive with this new change, with the sacred torn from my life.

Today, I was flipping through a book I immensly enjoy, and have read a million times. And I found this lovely quote: "God is a God of seasons. He loves to watch the changing of the leaves, the falling of snow, and the new growth that comes in the spring. He is also there in the seasons of your life. When the time is right, He'll teach you the next dance...One of the secrets to the Divine Dance is God will not just start the music and leave the room. And He is not that predictable either. He likes to change things now and then. Just when you've mastered one song, He puts on another." (Oh yeah, I definately agree with that last sentance!) But this last part is the key...are you ready? "The purpose of the dance is always the same, but the steps are often changed." Ah! That's it! Our purpose never changes, although our lives and circumstances will! Our purpose is to glorify God...and He puts us in new and different situations so we can do just that. You see, when we become "comfortable" in our spiritual lives, it becomes dangerous, as we are easily tempted to glorify ourselves instead of focusing on knowing God. Change is good, having the sacred torn is good, becuase it turns our hearts to God.

In going through some of these changes, I have learned valuable lessons. First, new experiences help me to know God in a way I hadn't before. Second, change is always good; it's God's way of stretching us and molding us to become more like Him. And getting our hearts re-focused where it needs to be--on Him. Third, that we can't wallow in self-pity....we need to be glorifying God--our purpose isn't going to change--and neither is God!!


So, I hope this makes sense...I guess I just want to encourage y'all to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. Because when everything changes, we are reminded of Him who does not change. When God breaks you down at your strongest point, and takes away that "sacred", you must look to Him, who is the only Sacred. The Unchanging God of All.

(Sidenote: These pics are a few from TeenPact girl talks on the dock :) )

1 comment:

  1. Once again I marvel!:) I just love how some days are just so trying then I go to your blog, All things BRIGHT and BEAUTIFUL and there are your posts ready to encourage all who look at them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete